Wednesday, May 19, 2004

 

I don’t know if you can tell from what I’ve written here, but I actually do like my job. I’m also in the last option of my contract, which expires in July.

This poses a dilemma.

The first part of the equation involves my current employment. Where I work, they make you sign outrageous contracts that not only make you promise first born children, but also any bodily fluids that might be released, henceforth. These contracts give the company all the power and all the options, while giving me… A check I can cash at the bank.

What it boils down to is that they can pretty much release me at any time, but I can’t leave until the term of the contract is up. I’m not complaining, mind you. This is my first job where I actually get paid to write, and the salary is… It pays pretty well. However, since it was my first writing gig, I’m not paid nearly as much as other people in my position. And I’m okay with that, being a newbie and all, but now it seems time to pony up. I’ve proven myself.

My boss has made it perfectly clear that he doesn’t want me to leave and said he was working on some sort of deal to “make something happen.” This means more money, I assume. What comes with this, however, will probably be another long and blinding (I mean, binding) contract. I have a meeting scheduled, so we’ll see how big this “raise” actually is. It might be flattering, who knows.

The second part of this equation has to do with jumping ship and going somewhere else. I know that if I become employed elsewhere doing the same job, there is a good chance of me earning a good deal amount more money, and maybe more prestige. And there’s a good chance there won’t be a contract at all.

Everything seems to point to option two, right? It’s not that easy.

I don’t want to do this kind of writing forever. I want to move on to bigger and better things and my current situation has afforded me the time to devote to other projects (including this blog) while still making a paycheck.

So, what do I do? Do I go for more money, knowing I’ll have less time to devote to things I’d really rather be working on? Do I stay where I’m comfortable, making less money, but having the luxury of time to work on other projects?

Tough one.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

online Site Meter Listed on Blogwise Blogarama
about me
Linkage
archives
how to contact me